April Showers

Sunday afternoon, just seconds before the the sun went behind dark clouds for the rest of the day.

Wow!


It has been a long time since I have sat down to write a blog post. I have definitely had the time to write one in the last few months, but I didn't really feel like I had much to write about. Which is silly, there is always something to write about.


December/January News:

Josey and I had AWESOME holiday concerts - I think we might get better at that sort of thing every year that we teach. I was really proud of all of my students, especially since almost every student sang a solo in our show "Forever Christmas". You guys rocked it!

This photo is dark intentionally to protect my students' privacy, but also to showcase that we wrapped their instruments with mini Christmas lights and they decorated their music stands. Flashy!

We spent the holidays with my parents, and I said "goodbye" to my parent's house in Kennewick. The trip was very nice, and we spent time trying to help my parents make decisions regarding upgrades to the house before putting it on the market. I'd say they made some good decisions, when they listed the house on the market a few weeks ago they had multiple offers in the first few days, and signed the papers for a sale just 5 days after listing! They'll be moving out by the end of this month.

Josey walking a dinosaur at a Ranch and Home Store in Kennewick.

We did a lot of ice skating on the weekends in Saco, and although Josey's zamboni was very cool, we didn't have many opportunities to use it. Most of the time he just plowed it off so that the kids and I could skate. I don't know if I've played that much hockey in my life. I'm a lot more aggressive against Josey than I ever was on the boys team I played on when I was younger.

Also in January was the District 12 Honor Concert. Every year it rotates "who is in charge," and this year was Saco/Hinsdale's turn. Lucky for us that we're married! Josey did a lot of the planning work, and I did a lot of the little details, and all in all it was a super successful event. Seventeen schools brought their top choir and band students for an all-day workshop, followed by a concert in the evening. We filmed the entire concert, and I edited the shots together so that students could watch their performance afterwards. You can check it out on YouTube at this link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSgcQYWjOhQKV1iHTJiPVIwfBY1AFDPLr




February News:

Ah, basketball tournament month. We were busy with pep band in January, but February is when it starts to get verrrry interesting. A usual pep band gig entails our band showing up for two games - we play before the girls and boys varsity games, and during halftime. The kids get to "free roam" during the game, instead of staying in the band and playing for timeouts like when I was in high school pep band. It is also different because our band is mostly younger students, since a lot of our high school boys and girls play on the basketball team as well. By younger, I mean 7th-8th graders, since our band is a 7th-12th band.

During District Tournament in Glasgow, we had both girls and boys teams participating, and they both played several games. On several days. We had to find activities for our students to do during the sometimes hours-long breaks, and we did the best we could to keep those kids busy and out of trouble! I think there should be a college course (or an MMEA session) on what to do with your kids between games at basketball tournaments - I'm not kidding! We went bowling, shopping, you name it.

Our pile of gear. Photo taken mostly to ensure we brought all this back with us after the tournament.

Then, the next weekend, we went even further for Divisional Tournament, in Wolf Point, MT. We did a little research though, and got to spend some time in the public library and at an elementary school burning off some steam during our breaks between games. The drive to and from that tournament was long, and we did it three days in a row, but it was worth it.

Why was it worth it? Because our teams did very well, and our band kids are rockstars. They stood up when they played in the bleachers even though no other band in our district or division does that. They came up to play the fight song at the end of the game, and even played during some time outs in the last few minutes of exciting games. And they were troopers. They showed up every morning bright and early to get on that bus and support their classmates. I've never seen anything like it.

Because everyone should have a photo in the paper of them yelling, right?

Those two weekends were exhausting for both Josey and I - we were fairly zombie-looking during the school week. But for all of the stress and time, I realized one thing; it is fantastic to have respect. Last year, it seemed like everything we did was questioned. By the kids, by the parents, by the community. Even though this is only our second year teaching, I know I have the support I need to make a decision and stick to it. Sure, kids can whine about this or that, but they know my expectations, and they do what I ask. The second year is soooo much better than the first. (FIRST YEAR TEACHERS OUT THERE- YOU'RE GOING TO BE OKAY!!!!!)

But wait, there's more! The weekend after Divisional tournament, we took the same group of kids, Saco/Hinsdale music students, to South Dakota! Josey did a ton of planning for this trip, and together we made it happen- it went off without a hitch.

The Hinsdale and Saco music students at Mount Rushmore.

Over the four day trip, students got to tour Black Hills State University in Spearfish, SD, do music workshops, take private lessons, and play in their Athletic center. Students got to race go-karts and play laser tag and other fun things at Flags and Wheels in Rapid City, SD. We also took the kids to WaTiki Water Park in Rapid City, and then to Mount Rushmore to see the big heads. Then, we drove to Deadwood, SD to watch Thompson Square perform live in concert.

It was pretty insane how much was jam-packed into those four days, but our chaperones were kick-butt! Our bus and suburban drivers did a fantastic job, and the kids were excellent representatives of our schools. Thank you Josey for being best partner in crime teaching ever! Even though we have been pretty upfront with everyone that we won't be staying in Saco/Hinsdale forever, it sure has been an awesome experience so far to get to work so closely with my husband. :D

In February, Josey and I also took a quick trip to Great Falls to visit Josey's Godfather, who was up from New Mexico. I learned a lot at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive center in Great Falls! It was also very nice to spend a weekend with family and friends.

Quick trip to Great Falls. 




March News:

Okay March. I think I may have discovered my least favorite month in teaching land. The weather is still up and down, the rink is pretty much melted, spring concerts/festivals are still a ways down the road, I'm not coaching any spring sports, and kids in general are just getting tired of school. Plus, there aren't really any fun holidays in March (St. Patty's day, anyone? Meh.)

And we struggled to keep ourselves busy this month.

It wasn't all that bad though. In fact, I'm going to actually call this March my "winning" month, even though it was kind of lame. Let me tell you about Lularoe.

Before Christmas, I went to an in-home party and tried on some of the comfiest leggings and apparel I have ever worn. I bought a few pieces, and then the real fun began. My work friend Kelly, (also my workout partner this year, she is the best!) showed me how to "shop" on Facebook for Lularoe clothing. I bought a few things, and bought leggings to gift some ladies in my life for Christmas, but I didn't really get into it too much.

Leggings! Bonus point if you can identify which cat that is...

Well, by March, I had gotten into hundreds of Facebook groups for different Lularoe consultants, and Kelly and I entered (and won) giveaways, left and right! I think we both have more free Lularoe clothing than we have purchased. It's pretty insane. But it has turned into a hobby for the two of us, and when we get new free clothes we have to find ways to wear it, since the usual prize is a "mystery" pair of leggings. I don't want to bore the internet world, so message me if you want to find out more about this current obsession. I drive Josey crazy with it, but I'd say a hobby where you win free clothing once a week or so can't be a bad thing, right?

Plus, I really like the clothing line! It's modest and comfortable, and really colorful. Don't worry, I'm not going to be the next consultant, but I will sing its praises.
Me wearing a "mystery" pair of buttery soft Lularoe leggings. Guest appearance by Arrow.

Something else I've gotten hooked on this month/year is Lipsense. I just started wearing lipstick in the last year, and now that I've discovered Lipsense I won't be going back! It's this incredible lip stain that stays on pretty much all day. You can create new colors by layering multiple colors, and it's really got me experimenting with color. Kelly and I talk about how our Lipsense and Lula make going to work more fun in the morning. It does!

All my pretty colors! 

We did get to do other fun stuff this month. A few weeks ago, Josey and I got to be adjudicators for two different middle school music festivals. The first day we adjudicated in Scobey, MT, a gig we also got to do last year. I judged mostly vocal solos and small ensembles, and a few choirs, while Josey judged mostly instrumental solos and groups, as well as some vocal solos.  The best surprise was when I got to judge piano students. I had so much fun working with those kids, and I was reminded once again how much I love teaching piano.

The next day, we got to do it all over again, this time in Bainville, MT, working with Class C middle school ensembles. It was neat for me to see what other K-12 schools do with their middle school choirs, and Josey had a fantastic time working with the middle school bands. It's awesome see students engage and improve right before your eyes when you ask them to try something a little bit differently. We both came back with even more ideas for our own groups.

Here is where I got to judge! On the left is the Lutheran Church in Scobey, and on the right is the Bainville Choir room. 

This past week we also took a trip down to Billings to see Black Violin in concert at the Alberta Bair Theatre. The performers are classically trained violinists/violists who also play pop music. They have a sweet DJ as part of their show and a rocking drummer. It was loud, but it was good. Josey and I kept thinking about how we wished we could have brought our students.

While we were in Billings we got to go to Eckroth Music Store/Qdoba/Walmart/Target/Costco/Red Lobster/All my happy places. Then we drove back and spent the rest of the weekend with our cats and did some spring cleaning and projects.

Easter bunnies and clearance necklaces. Happy, happy! #Target

And now we are up to date! Phew! To think, I thought I had nothing at all to write about...

We will see what April holds. So far we have planned a Bozeman trip for my birthday weekend/Easter, and a trip to Helena at the end of the month for the Montana Council Annual Meeting (Boy Scouts event, to which I finally am getting to go to with Josey.) District Music Festival is also coming up, as well as our Festival Concerts. I have a feeling this month is going to fly by.

By the end of this month, my parents will have moved out of their house. I'll be 25 years old, and I will be wearing Lularoe clothing and Lipsense. That much I know for sure. I will also still have an awesome husband who cooks the best grilled chicken I have ever had, and two snuggly cats. (Poor Arrow got spayed last week... she's almost herself again though!) I also now have a hammock, and the mosquitoes aren't out yet, so life is good. Sure it might rain in April, it even rained tonight, but in May we will see the flowers. For us teachers, this is the home stretch!

Sorry, I can't get over how cute they are when they snuggle.

Have a happy week, may the sun shine on you all.


Chelsea (& Josey)











Comments

Popular Posts